Child Benefit in 2022: how much it is and how to get it

8 December 2022 by Robin - 8 minutes of reading time

child benefit 2022

What is Child Benefit? How much can I get? You may have one or multiple children. In this case, you may be eligible to receive this benefit. Indeed, you would then receive weekly payments. Your Benefits will walk you through everything that you need to know about getting Child Benefit.

How much is Child Benefit?

There are two different rates of Child Benefit that you can get. More specifically, they are as follows:

Child Benefit rates in 2022
Who payments will be received for Weekly rate
Either the older or only child £21.15
Additional children £14 (this amount is per additional individual children)
Note that you may get both of these amounts. For example, if you have 2 eligible children, you could get £35.15 weekly.

Typically, you will be paid every 4 weeks. The payment days usually fall on a Monday or Tuesday. Furthermore, you will receive the money directly into your account. However, this is excluding if you are using a Nationwide cashbuilder account owned by another person. Furthermore, you may only get payments into one account.

What if I separated from my partner?

Families sometimes split up. If this is the case for you, you will receive a weekly rate of £21.15 for the older child. Furthermore, you may have 2 children, and one may stay with your ex-partner and one with you. Then, you can receive £21.15 weekly for each individual children.

Two separated parents may claim Child Benefit for one child. However, only one may receive this benefit. In fact, it is recommended to agree on who will receive the benefit.

You may have additional children who qualify for this benefit. In this case, you can receive £14 weekly for each of them. Furthermore, 2 families could combine. Then, there are two different amounts that become relevant.

The older child of the new family becomes eligible for £21.15 weekly. Additionally, any additional children become eligible for £14 weekly each.

Child Benefit Income Limit

You may (or your partner) earn over £50,000. Indeed, you will still be able to earn Child Benefit. However, you will have to pay tax on your payments. This tax charge is called the High Income Child Benefit Tax Charge.

Whoever has the highest income is responsible for paying the tax charge. Indeed, you or your partner will have to complete a Self Assessment tax return yearly. Then, you will have to pay what you must.

Note that you may not earn more than £60,000. Indeed, if you do so, tax will oblige you to lose all of your benefit. 

How can I claim Child Benefit?

You can claim Child Benefit as soon as the birth of your child is registered. Otherwise, you may claim it when they come and live with you. The claiming process may take up to 16 weeks for a brand new claim. If you are a new United Kingdom resident, it may take longer. 

You may backdate your Child Benefit claim for a maximum of 3 months. This means that you can get payments for up to 3 months prior to your claim.

Multiple people cannot both make a claim for one child. In fact, only one person may do so. Furthermore, the person claiming may earn less than £184 weekly, or may not be working. In this case, they will receive National Insurance credits who will contribute to their State Pension

Can I get Child Benefit?

You may claim Child Benefit if the child you are responsible for is younger than 16 years old. However, they can be 20 years or younger if doing an approved training or education course. 

Are you responsible for a child? This is the case if one of two things are true. First, if they live with you, or second, if you pay the same amount or more than Child Benefit for their upkeep. Indeed, this is for costs like allowances, clothing and food.

Note that your child may be in a hospital. If this is the case, the eligibility rules are different. In fact, this is also the case if the child lives with another person. Typically, if they live with someone else, you will receive the benefit for 8 weeks. However, this can be longer if you contribute for their costs.

Additionally, you may also receive the benefit when fostering a child. However, this is under a certain condition. Your local council must not be paying any amount towards the maintenance and upkeep of the child.

You may be looking after someone else’s child. In this case, you could still be eligible for Child Benefit. However, your local council cannot be paying for the upkeep of the child. Additionally, only one person may claim the benefit.

Note that you will stop receiving the benefit if your child does one of the following:

Claiming Child Benefit for the first time

What is the Child Benefit claim form if I am claiming for the first time?

You may be making a claim for the first time. Then, you will need to fill out a Child Benefit claim CH2. Then, you will send the letter to the address indicated on the form.

If claiming for the first time, you may do so before you registered your child. However, this is if you are unable to book a registering appointment before your child turns 3 months old.

Your child may be adopted. In this case, you will need to include their original adoption certificate, along with the form. Indeed, do not send a copy. If you cannot locate the original, you can order a new one. However, send your Child Benefit form, and send the certificate only once you receive it.

Your child may have been born outside the UK. If this is the case, you will need to include the following:

  • Travel documents or the passport you used in order to get into the UK;
  • Your child’s original birth certificate.

Child Benefit add a child

You may add a child to your existing claim. To do this, you need to call the Child Benefit helpline. However, all of the following need to apply, your child:

  • Is younger than 6 months old;
  • Lives with you;
  • Was born in the UK;
  • Their birth was registered longer than 24 hours ago in Wales, Scotland or England;
  • Your residency is in the United Kingdom or Ireland, and you have been living in the UK since you began your claim.
If you do not meet these criteria, you may not be eligible to add a child to your Child Benefit claim by phone. However, you may still be able to add a child to your claim by post.

If you are eligible, you may then call the helpline on 0300 200 3100. Additionally, you will need to following information during said call:

If you do not meet the criteria to add a child by phone, you may do so by post. To do so, you need to make a new claim. Fill out Child Benefit form CH2. Then, send it to the Child Benefit office.

You may be trying to get the benefit for more than 2 children. If this is the case, you will need to include the “additional children” Child Benefit form.

Can I make changes to my claim?

Can I make changes to my claim?

You can make changes to your claim. Indeed, you must report any changes in your situation. More specifically, it might include the following:

  • Changes in the life of your child: this can include them starting or leaving training or an education course, earning benefits and more;
  • Changes in your family life: this can include being married.

Additionally, you may want someone else to earn the benefit. In this case, you must notify the Child Benefit office. Then, once that is done, the other person needs to make a new claim for this benefit.

Furthermore, you may choose to stop receiving the benefit. For example, you may choose to do so to not pay the High Income Child Benefit Tax Charge. Then, you would have to pay it if your income exceeds £50,000 yearly. Choosing not to stop receiving Child Benefit payments does not impact your eligibility.

You may want to receive help with your claim. Then, contact the Child Benefit Office. You may also ask for a mandatory reconsideration if you disagree with the decision that was taken on your claim. Then, your claim will have to be looked over again.

Autres questions fréquentes

Robin is a writer for Your Benefits, writing about aids that people may be entitled to. He is currently working on his Master in journalism at the Institut Supérieur de Formation au Journalisme in Lille.

Ask our experts a question

Our algorithm calculates which grants you are eligible to apply for.

Simulate your benefits