How to claim Child Benefit in 2022

8 December 2022 by Robin - 9 minutes of reading time

how to claim child benefit 2022

How can I claim Child Benefit? What do I need to claim this benefit? What forms should I fill out? If you want to receive pqyments, you may send a claim online or by post. More specifically, this depends on whether or not you are applying for the first time. Furthermore, you may apply on someone’s behalf. This also includes managing their claim for them. Your Benefits will tell you everything you need to know on how to claim Child Benefit. 

Who can claim Child Benefit

You may be able to claim Child Benefit. In fact, in order to do so, you will need to first have registered your child’s birth. However, if this is not the case, you may apply once your child comes to live in your household.

Your claim for Child Benefit may take a while to process. More specifically, it could take up to 16 weeks. If you came to the UK rather recently, your claim may take longer to process. However, note that your claim can be backdated for a maximum of 3 months.

Only a single person can receive Child Benefit for any given child. Indeed, you and your partner may not both get the benefit. As such, you will need to agree on who receives the benefit.

Whoever gets it will also receive National Insurance credits, which will contribute to their State Pension eligibility. However, this is only if they do not work, or if they get an income inferior to £190 weekly.
Child Benefit rates in 2022
Who payments will be received for Weekly rate
Either the older or only child £21.15
Additional children £14 (this amount is per additional individual children)

How to claim Child Benefit

Who can claim Child Benefit

You may claim Child Benefit for the first time. If this is the case, you will need to fill out the Child Benefit claim form CH2. Then, you will need to send the completed form to the Child Benefit Office. You will find the corresponding address on the form itself.

Furthermore, you do not have to wait until you registered the birth of your child to apply. Indeed, you may be unable to get an appointment with the register office. Furthermore, this may be until your child is 3 months old. Then, you may be able to claim Child Benefit before the birth of your child is registered.

Your child may be adopted. If this is the case, you will need to send the original adoption certificate, along with your claim form. If you lost your original adoption certificate, you can order a new one. Indeed, you may do this online, on the General Register Office (GRO) website.
You may not have your adoption certificate handy at the moment. In this case, you can still send your Child Benefit claim form now. Then, you will be able to send your certificate when it is available to you.

What if the birth of my child was not registered in the UK?

The birth of your child may not have been registered in the UK. In this case, you can still claim Child Benefit. Indeed, simply send the following documents at the same time that you send your Child Benefit claim form:

  • The travel document (for example, a passport) of the child used to come into the UK;
  • The child’s original birth certificate.

You may not have the child’s original birth certificate. Indeed, you may even have lost it. Fear not, if you require, you can order your child’s birth certificate again.

Typically, you will get your documents back no later than 4 weeks afterwards. Note that, for some benefits, it’s recommended to send copies of documents. Here, you need to send the original copy of your child’s birth certificate.

Can I add a child to an existing Child Benefit claim?

You may be able to add another child to an existing Child Benefit claim. Then, if you phone the Child Benefit helpline, you will be able to do so. However, all of the following conditions need to be true:

  • You are an Irish or UK national and have resided in the UK since you first sent your claim;
  • The birth of your child was registered either in Wales, Scotland or in England, and longer than 24 hours ago;
  • The birth of your child occurred in the UK;
  • Your child is no older than 6 months old and resides with you.

Furthermore, once you call them, you will need some information. More specifically, make sure that you have the following:

  • The birth certificate of your child (this is only if you were able to register their birth);
  • Your own National Insurance number.

You may contact the Child Benefit helpline by phone. Indeed, if you are inside the UK, you can phone them on 0300 200 3100. If you need to communicate in Welsh language, then call 0300 200 1900. If you need to call from outside the UK, call +44 161 210 3086. Finally, their textphone is 0300 200 3103.

The Child Benefit helpline is available from 8am until 6pm, Monday to Friday.

What if I cannot claim Child Benefit by phone?

You may need to make your claim by post. Indeed, this is the case if you will need to acquire a Child Benefit form CH2. Indeed, then, complete it. After this, send it to the address of the Child Benefit Office. This will be indicated on the claim form.

You may claim this benefit for 3 children or more. If this is the case, you will need to include the claim form for ‘additional children‘. All the necessary claim forms are on the website.

The birth of your child may also have been registered in Northern Ireland. If this is the case, you will have to send their birth certificate when it becomes available to you. In fact, you will need to do so by post. You will need to send the document to the following address:

HM Revenue and Customs – Child Benefit Office
PO Box 1
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE88 1AA
United Kingdom

How to claim Child Benefit for someone else

How to claim Child Benefit

You can claim Child Benefit for another person. Indeed, this can be for one of a couple of things. You can claim Child Benefit for a child if you are responsible for them. Then, you may claim and manage the claim of them and their baby.

You may also make a claim for someone who is unable to manage their own affairs themselves. In fact, this may be the case because they are hindered by a disability. This is called being someone’s ‘appointee‘.

If you are claiming Child Benefit on behalf of your child, then you may also collect payments yourself. To do so, simply call your child’s bank. Note that Child Benefit can only be paid in a single account. As such, make sure that their name is on any joint account collecting payments.

How do I become someone else’s appointee?

You may wish to become someone’s appointee. This is likely because they cannot manage their own affairs. Then, you will need to notify the Child Benefit Office. They will walk you through whether this is a good idea or not, and walk you through all the steps you will need to take.

You may want to collect someone’s payment on their behalf. If this is the case, you may contact the Post Office or their bank directly, without having to be an appointee. Furthermore, as an appointee, there are certain things you will need to do. In fact, they include the following:

  • Fill out their application form;
  • Manage letters sent by the Child Benefit Office;
  • Report relevant changes in your circumstance that for Child Benefit;
  • Cease or start payments again in the circumstance that the High Income Child Benefit Charge is impacting the person or their partner.

You may want to become a paid agent. If this is the case, you will need to notify the Child Benefit Office. More specifically, you must send them a letter. Then, indicate that you are able to manage the individual’s Child Benefit for them.

You may want to stop being an appointee, or change who is the appointee. In this case, you can write a letter to the Child Benefit office. More specifically, you must do this within one month of changing appointee or stopping being an appointee.

Can I change my Child Benefit claim?

You can make changes to your Child Benefit claim. More specifically, this is the case if you have changes in your circumstance relevant for this benefit. This could include things happening within your family. This is the case if you get married. Otherwise, this could be changes occurring to your child. Indeed, they may stop a training or education they were undergoing.

If you have relevant changes in your circumstance, you need to report it to the Child Benefit office. In fact, this is if you want someone else to get this benefit. This may be your partner, for example.

Furthermore, you may choose to stop your Child Benefit payments. This could be if you get more than £50,000 yearly in income. Then, by stopping payments, you can avoid paying the High Income Child Benefit Charge. Furthermore, ceasing or restarting payments do not impact you qualifying for this benefit.

If you require help with your Child Benefit claim, you may notify the Child Benefit Office. Then, if you disagree with the decision that was taken on your claim, you may ask for a mandatory reconsideration. Then, the Child Benefit office will have to look at your claim again.

What else should I know?

Once you made your claim, you can send it to the child benefit office. Once a child was born, if you earn over 50,000, you may have to pay a tax charge. You could do approved training, education or training, as well as full-time work. Then, you could get tax free benefits.

Robin is a writer for Your Benefits, writing about aids that people may be entitled to. He is currently working on his Master in journalism at the Institut Supérieur de Formation au Journalisme in Lille.

Ask our experts a question

Our algorithm calculates which grants you are eligible to apply for.

Simulate your benefits