Mobility Allowance in 2022: everything you need to know

8 December 2022 by Robin - 8 minutes of reading time

mobility allowance

What is the Mobility Allowance? How much may I earn with this benefit? Can I still apply? If you are elderly, you may be eligible for this benefit. This Your Benefits article will walk you through everything you need to know about the Mobility Allowance.

How much is Mobility Allowance in 2022?

There are two rates for the Mobility Allowance, the high and low rate. You are eligible for the low rate if you received the Disabled Drivers and Disabled Passengers (Tax Concessions) benefit. Then, you would be paid €104.25 per month. If you receive the high rate, you would instead receive €208.50 per month.

Mobility Allowance rates in 2022
Mobility Allowance rate Monthly amount
High rate €208.50
Low Rate €104.25
The Disabled Drivers and Disabled Passengers (Tax Concessions) benefit is an aid whose aim is to give tax relief on certain vehicles. More specifically, on the purchase and maintenance of vehicles adapted to passengers or drivers who have a disability.

If you already earn the Disabled Drivers and Disabled Passengers (Tax Concessions), you received help on the costs of vehicles. As such, you will earn less Mobility Allowance. The higher rate is reserved for people who may not receive additional benefits.

How does Mobility Allowance work?

How does the Mobility Allowance work?

As said previously, the Mobility Allowance scheme is a mobility benefit closed to new applications. These were the rules when it was still open. All of them must apply to your situation. You were able to earn the benefit if you:

  • Cannot walk, even when using aids like artificial limbs, or your current condition makes it so that the fatigue you feel from doing so is dangerous to you;
  • Are unable to walk for at least the duration of a whole year;
  • Were forbidden to move by a medical professional;
  • Could get significant benefits from a change in your current actual situation, environment or services at your disposition;
  • Currently either live at your home or in a long-term institution;
  • Pass a means test.

You may or may not pass the medical criteria for the benefit. Whether this is the case or not is determined by the Health Service Executive (HSE) Senior Area Medical Officer assigned to your specific area.

How is my income assessed? 

Your total assessable income must be calculated. This is to see just how much Mobility Allowance you are able to receive. For a couple, for example, this means that the incomes are combined.

You may earn an amount that is superior to the appropriate weekly social welfare payment for the situation specific to your family. If this is the case, it would then be subtracted from the total maximum amount of Mobility Allowance that you would be paid.

The appropriate social welfare payment for this benefit is as follows. If you are under 66 years old, it is how much you receive through the Disability Living Allowance (DLA). For those that are over 66, it is how you receive in State Pension.

Your weekly payments also depend on two factors. First, it depends on whether you are a couple or not. Second, on the number of dependent children under your care, if any.

How to calculate your maximum weekly Mobility Allowance
You can calculate your own maximum weekly Mobility Allowance amount. To do so, take your monthly rate and multiply it by 12. Then, divide it by 52. You can find the monthly rates below.

What is an example?

Let’s do an example. You may be eligible for the benefit but want to calculate your maximum weekly Mobility Allowance amount. You may be eligible for already earning the high rate.

The calculation is as follows. You first take the total amount, 208.50. Then, you multiply it by 12. Finally, you divide that by 52. The total is 48.12. Your maximum weekly Mobility Allowance amount is that amount.

Why all the complicated calculations? It is actually pretty straightforward. There are 12 months, or 52 weeks in a year. By taking the monthly amount and multiplying it by 12, we calculate the yearly amount. By then dividing it by 52, we calculate how much that is every week.

Both people in a couple may be eligible for the benefit. Not all of your excess of the appropriate weekly social welfare payment will be deducted from all the Mobility Allowance that you can earn. Instead, this amount (deducted from the maximum amount of Mobility Allowance) is only half.

What income is non-assessable?

Some income may be non-assessable. The following benefits will not count towards the income relevant for earning Mobility Allowance. They are:

  • Over 80 Allowance;
  • Living Alone Allowance;
  • National Fuel Scheme Allowance payments;
  • Higher Education Grants;
  • Foster Care Allowance;
  • Domiciliary Care Allowance;
  • Child Benefit;
  • Blind Welfare Allowance;
  • Supplementary Welfare Allowance;
  • The benefit part of the Disabled Drivers and Disabled Passengers (Tax Concessions) Scheme;
  • Repayments done in the context of the Health (Repayment Scheme) Act 2006;
  • Meal and travel allowances that participants on Government-approved schemes were able to receive;
  • Compensation awards that were previously absolved by certain legislation (an example of this is Thalidomide);
  • Amounts received from charitable organizations, excluding remunerations;
  • For employments that are for a therapeutic or rehabilitative nature, any income that does not exceed the limit approved by the Department of Social Protection (DSP).
Additionally, a cohabitant, or your spouse or civil partner may be a recipient of Carer’s Allowance or Carer’s Benefit. If this is the case, the payment for this benefit is not counted. Instead, what is counted is your primary payment.

Added to that is any increases that might arise for any qualified children. Then, what is also added is an eligible adult’s Supplementary Welfare Allowance increase.

Carer’s Benefit or Carer’s Allowance may not be paid to someone who is either your cohabitant, civil partner or spouse. In this case, it is evaluated in your income differently. In fact, it does not count in your income at all. You are then assessed on your own income.

What if I received a Motorised Transport Grant?

How much is Mobility Allowance?

You may have been the recipient of a Motorised Transport Grant. If you were paid the Mobility Allowance before, you will no longer be a recipient of it.

Why is this the case? The amount that you received from the Motorised Transport Grant has a condition imposed on it. In fact, if the costs of a certain vehicle are covered using a Motorised Transport Grant, the Health Service Executive (HSE) cannot contribute towards more costs of the same vehicle.

The Health Service Executive (HSE) is the body that makes the monthly payments for Motorised Transport Grant to those who are eligible. As such, if you cannot receive both the Mobility Allowance and the Motorised Transport Grant.

You may not be eligible for this benefit. However, you may likely be able to earn more. Your Benefits can help. We offer a free simulator that can calculate how much aid you are entitled to.

Additionally, our advisers are available to help you to save on your bills. Simply contact them, and they will walk you through everything you need to know.

What if I disagree with a decision?

Usually, benefits allow you to appeal a decision, also called a ‘mandatory reconsideration‘. However, this is not the case for this benefit.

You do not have any legal right to an appeal. The Mobility Allowance does not have a legal statutory appeal scheme. In other words, the law does not dictate your right to appeal.

If you are refused, you will be notified officially in writing. Moreover, the Health Service Executive (HSE) will send you a letter indicating what their decision is. There will also be steps to know how to appeal. Follow these steps if you disagree with the outcome of the letter.

Note that different Local Health Offices proceed differently with Mobility Allowance appeal procedures. Each may approach the situation in a different way. For example, some will call upon independent Senior Medical Officers to review claims through a review hearing. This also includes reviewing evidence, like medical evidence.

Some other Local Health Offices will transfer appeals to other offices. For example, they may defer them to their Appeals Office. You may want to come into contact with your Local Health Office. They will be able to tell you what steps they would take.

What is the Mobility Allowance?

The Mobility Allowance is a mobility benefit paid monthly to people 16 or over, and under the age of 66 in Northern Ireland. Beneficiaries must have a disability and not be able to either walk or make use of public transportation.

They must also be able to benefit from a change in their environment. For example, they may qualify if they would really benefit from being driven to their destination by taxi.

How to qualify for Mobility Allowance

The Mobility Allowance scheme was closed to new applicants in 2013. An alternative benefit is being created, but has not yet been released. This new scheme will be called the Transport Support scheme. You could instead apply for the PIP mobility component or the Attendance Allowance.

The Health Service Executive (HSE) will continue to pay Mobility Allowance monthly to those who were eligible and receiving the benefit at the time that the scheme closed. What this means for you is that if you are already earning the benefit, you will continue to do so. However, if you do not, you may not apply.

Autres questions fréquentes

Robin is a writer for Your Benefits, writing about aids that people may be entitled to. He is currently working on his Master in journalism at the Institut Supérieur de Formation au Journalisme in Lille.

Ask our experts a question

Your questions

    I own a car which has been converted to carry my mobility scooter and receive the higher rate of mobility allowance.

    My question is, since I have been involved in an accident (no other driver involved) reversing into a low post, causing damage that Is cheaper to repair than claim on my insurance. Have been informed by a disabled friend that I should be able to claim back the VAT on accident damage repair and the servicing costs of my car
    Could you please let me know if this is possible.

    Yours Sinceraly, John Watt

    • Robin

      Hello Mr. Watt,

      I indeed think that this is possible.

      Hope this helps,

  • Hales Patricia

    My partner suffered a stroke last October 2021 he has been in a care home since February 2022 and not been out anywhere for a year. He has just been assessed for a wheelchair but the one that is suitable for him doesn’t fold down. Does he qualify for a mobility car in his situation which will enable me to take him out as if not I am very limited where I can take him. He is 71

    • Robin


      I would recommend claiming PIP.

      Hope this helps,

  • ONeill Patrick

    How can I apply for mobility allowance thank you

    • Robin


      Unfortunately, this benefit was closed to new applications in 2013.

      Hope this helps,

  • hopkins michael

    i am 76 i get attendance allowsnce and industrial injury pension.because i struggle now with my mobilty i applied for a disabled bay ousideof my house but was turned down becausr i wasnt getting mobility allowanceso how can i get the mobility allowance

    • Robin


      Yes you could get attendance allowance from the gov.uk website.

      Hope this helps,

  • WOOLLEY Pamela

    I am aged 79 & get OAP & Attendance Allowance (full). Since receiving these allowances I have suffered fractured neck of femur (21 hrs on floor) followed by brief spell in Critical Care & 6 weeks in hospital. Luckily now home again. Altho before accident I did drive, I have since sold my car as my knees apt to give way as they need replacement (for many years). I can only walk now with aids such as Capt.Tom Walker, zimmer frame & indoors I use a disablility trolley to get about. Is there any other benefits I can apply for pls (I do receive a very small occ pension) & live alone. Many thanks.

    • Robin


      You could get a council tax reduction.

      Hope this helps,

  • ronald neighbour

    i have a disability that is getting worse i can only walk a few yards unaided and this is a problem who do i contact for help

    • Robin


      I am sorry to hear this. You can contact any business or body that provides carer services.

      Hope this helps,

  • Tony Bevan

    HI how do i apply for motability

    • Robin

      Hello Mr. Bevan,

      Unfortunately, this scheme closed in 2013.

      Have a good day,

  • Sandra Hodges

    Hello l have in the last thee mounts been given a blue badge, l have c.o.p.d and arthritis,would l be entitled to mobility payments if sohow do you apply. Many thanks

    • Robin

      Hello Mrs. Hodges,

      You can apply for the notability scheme through the official website.

      Hope this helps,

  • Beddall irene

    Do you still get free disabled car tax

    • Robin


      Yes, this scheme still exists for those who are disabled.

      Hope this helps,

  • Sharon Garside

    My husband is currently in a nursing home and I am struggling getting him out in my car as he is now wheelchair bound. Would he still be entitled to motability ? I am not in receipt of any benefits as he is taken care of in the nursing home.

Our algorithm calculates which grants you are eligible to apply for.

Simulate your benefits