No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF) and Best Start Foods in 2022

8 December 2022 by Robin - 8 minutes of reading time

Best start foods nrpf

Can I get Best Start Foods if I have NRPF (No Recourse to Public Funds)? How can I apply? Will I need to provide additional information? You could claim this benefit even if you are unable to claim state benefits. In fact, you would then receive payments that could allow you to buy healthy foods. Your Benefits will tell you everything you need to know about claiming Best Start Foods while having NRPF (No Recourse to Public Funds).

Best Start Foods NRPF eligibility

You may have a certain immigration status. In fact, you may not receive certain benefits because of it. Then, you are considered as having no recourse to public funds (NRPF). However, you would then still be able to receive Best Start Foods.

Your immigration status may keep you from being able to claim certain benefits. This is called having No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF). You could still get Best Start Foods.
Best Start Foods NRPF eligibility

Although you can claim Best Start Foods if you have NRPF (No Recourse to Public Funds), some things still need to apply to you. More specifically, the following need to be true for you:

  • The income of your family is £660 or fewer monthly after tax;
  • You are responsible for a child under 3 years old, and they are not a citizen of the UK;
  • Your immigration status is what is making you unable to claim public funds (benefits).
The conditions above may be true for you, and you might still apply for Best Start Foods. However, when making your claim, you will need to tell Social Security Scotland that you are applying for these reasons.

If you are applying, and the reasons above apply to you, Social Security Scotland may ask you to give proof. More specifically, they may ask for supporting information. 

If you are unaware, Best Start Foods is a benefit which allows you to buy healthy foods, and covers some of the costs. In fact, you could buy things such as fruit or milk.

What is Best Start Foods?

Best Start Foods is a benefit that allows you to cover some of the costs that arise from buying healthy foods. In fact, you would be able to receive a card. Then, you could use that card in some stores. Additionally, you can claim it even if you have NRPF.

If you are pregnant, you could also buy vitamins for yourself. Additionally, you could buy healthy foods for your baby. There are a certain amounts that you could receive weekly for your card.

There are different amounts you may receive if you claim Best Start Foods. In fact, this depends on when you apply for the benefit. More specifically, depending on when you apply, you will receive the following:

Best Start Foods amounts 2022
Period during which payments are earned Amount received
During pregnancy £18 every 4 weeks
From the birth of your child up until their 1rst birthday £36 every 4 weeks
From your child's 1rst to their 3rd birthday £18 every 4 weeks

How to claim Best Start Foods if I have NRPF (No Recourse to Public Funds)

You may have No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF). Then, you could claim Best Start Foods. If this is the case, you can do so by phone, by post or online.

When you apply, you have to tell Social Security Scotland that you have No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF). Moreover, you will need to provide supporting information.

There are a number of ways that you can apply for Best Start Foods when you have NRPF (No Recourse to Public Funds). You can indicate this in a multitude of ways. In fact, you can do so through some of the following:

  • ‘My immigration status means I cannot get certain benefits’;
  • ‘I am not a British citizen, but my children are British citizens’;
  • ‘I have no access to public funds’.

Then, you can choose to apply to this benefit in one of three ways: online, by post or by phone. If you want to apply by phone, indicate that this is what you want to do when you call Social Security Scotland

You can apply for Best Start Foods by phone. Then, you can call Social Security Scotland. In fact, you can call them on 0800 182 2222. You may do so from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. Additionally, you may be a British Sign Language user. Then, you can apply using the contactSCOTLAND app.

How can I apply by post or online?

How to claim Best Start Foods if I have NRPF (No Recourse to Public Funds)

You may choose to apply by post or online. In this case, you will need to indicate something in your claim. In fact, there is extra information that you will need to enter. More specifically, you will have to check the ‘If you think there’s something else we need to know’ box, at the bottom of the form.

There could be parts of the application form that do not apply to you when applying. More specifically, this is the fact for those with No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF). Additionally, Social Security Scotland could ask you to provide certain documents. More specifically, they could ask to provide the following:

  • Letters or legal letters provided by your local authority;
  • Benefits awarded in the name of your child;
  • A MATB1 (Maternity B1) certificate.

However, you may not have to provide these documents if you have No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF). Also, note that you may not be able to apply online. Then, you would need to apply by phone or by post. This is the case if, for example, you do not own a bank account.

Note that this may not be the only benefit that you are able to apply online. In fact, this may not be the only benefit that you can apply for in general. Then, Your Benefits can help. In fact, we provide a free simulator that can show you all the financial aid you are entitled to. And again, this service is completely free. 

No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF): what is supporting information?

You may claim Best Start Foods, and have NRPF (No Recourse to Public Funds). Then, you could have to give supporting information in order to claim this benefit. 

The information you would need to provide depends on what your situation is when you claim the benefit. In fact, you will typically have to give the following information: your own immigration status, the income of your family, as well as the citizenship of your child.

How you prove your situation depends on what documents you provide. More specifically, you may chose to provide the following documents:

  • letter provided by a supporting organization;
  • The birth certificate or passport of your child;
  • A statement from your bank proving your family income;
  • Biometric Residence permit;
  • A Home Office letter indicating your immigration status.

You could have difficulty accessing some of these documents. Moreover, you may have these documents, but have difficulty accessing them. If this is the case, you can contact Social Security Scotland. In fact, you can call them on 0800 182 2222.

What else could I get?

If you have No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF), you could receive Best Start Foods. Furthermore, Best Start Foods is claimed at the same time as some other benefits.

More specifically, you have to options. You could either claim Best Start Foods with Best Start Grant. Otherwise, you could claim both Best Start Foods, Best Start Grant and Scottish Child Payment.

Note that, typically, you would not be able to receive Scottish Child Payment and Best Start Grant. This is if you have No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF). However, still apply with the forms that allow you to receive multiple benefits. Then, Social Security Scotland will tell you which benefits you can get.

There could also be other benefits that you are eligible for. In fact, there could be a number of them that you are entitled to, but not claiming. Then, Your Benefits can help. In fact, we provide a number of articles describing the benefits that you could receive.

Your Benefits may also help you saving on your bills. Then, you would be able to reduce how much you have to pay for your electricity, phone, water bills… In order to benefit from this, simply ask for one of our advisers to call you back. Then, you could be able to save a lot more on your bills. 

If you live in northern ireland, and not england or wales, you may not be eligible. Children aged of school age may make you eligible. You could also get paid for foods for your child if you get benefits because of your immigration status.

Robin is a writer for Your Benefits, writing about aids that people may be entitled to. He is currently working on his Master in journalism at the Institut Supérieur de Formation au Journalisme in Lille.

Ask our experts a question

Our algorithm calculates which grants you are eligible to apply for.

Simulate your benefits