Health benefits in 2022: payments for pregnancy, illness and carers

3 August 2022 by Robin - 13 minutes of reading time

health benefits in 2022

What health benefits can I get if I am pregnant? What if I am ill, or a carer? There are a number of benefits you could get when it comes to your health. Then, your health condition or caring would allow you to increase the number of money you receive. Sometimes, these benefits would even allow you to receive money with very little input, and no limits on how to use it. Your Benefits will tell you everything you need to know about health benefits.

What are sickness benefits?

You may be sick, in which case you could be receiving a number of benefits. The article linked will tell you everything you need to know about what you could get. In fact, there are both payments and aid in the form of services that you could get.

Also note that your health may be impacted by sickness or disability. As such, there are many benefits, services and aid you could get to make your life easier. Furthermore, you could get benefits for depression, for example.

What if I am self-isolating because I am positive with Covid-19?

You may be employed and self-isolating after being diagnosed with Covid-19. If this is the case, and you cannot work from home, you may be able to receive a Self Isolation Payment Wales. Then, you would be able to get one-off payments. 

The Self Isolation Payment scheme is also known as the Self-Isolation support scheme.

The payment you would get depends on when your self-isolation period started. Indeed, you would be able to receive either £500 or £750. In fact, you can even get this payment if your child is the one being tested positive. Additionally, you can get payments for multiple people being tested positive in the same home. 

You may live in Scotland. In this case, you could be eligible for the Scottish Self-Isolation Support Scheme. Then, you could be eligible to receive either £500 or £250. This depends on whether you received a positive PCR test before or after 1 May.

What is Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)?

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) is a benefit paid by employers to someone for their health. More specifically, to someone who is too ill to work. If you are eligible, the amount of Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) you can get is £96.35 weekly. Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), like normal wages, is paid by your employer, and at the same rate.

For example, if your wage is paid to you in a weekly manner, your Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) will be paid to you weekly. In addition, if you have multiple jobs, you may be entitled to SSP from each of your employers. Tax and National Insurance are deducted from Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

In order to receive Statutory Sick Pay, a few conditions need to apply:

  • You are classified as an employee and have done work for your employer;
  • Receive an income averaging at least £120 weekly;
  • Have been sick or self-isolating for at least 4 days in a row, which includes non-working days.

What is Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB)?

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) is a benefit paid to those whose health was worsened either because of their activity at work or on an approved employment training scheme or course.

What you will be paid depends on the level of your disability or illness. Your level of disability will be determined by a ‘medical advisor’, with a scale of 0 to 100%:

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit amount per percentage of assessed disability in 2022
Percentage of assessed disability Weekly amount
100% £182.90
90% £164.61
80% £146.32
70% £128.03
60% £109.74
50% £91.45
40% £73.16
30% £54.87
20% £36.58

For accidents, you may be eligible if the following apply to you:

  • You were employed at the time of the accident or event;
  • You were present on an approved employment training or course at the time of the accident or event occurring;
  • The accident or event occurred in England, Scotland or Wales.

For illness and diseases, you may claim IIDB if you were employed or on an approved employment training scheme or course, which caused your poor health. You may receive the benefit if you suffer from more than 70 diseases. Find a number of diseases in the article linked above.

If you receive Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB), then you could be eligible for another benefit as well. In fact, you could receive Constant Attendance Allowance. If you have 100% assessed disability, you will automatically get this benefit.

Furthermore, you could also claim Constant Attendance Allowance if you receive War Disablement Pension. This is a benefit that those disabled or injured. More specifically, for those whose health was worsened because of wartime conditions or their service in Her Majesty’s Forces. 

What is War Pension Scheme?

The War Pension Scheme (WPS) is a benefit scheme awarded to veterans having received any injury or illness. Specifically, the injury or illness has to have been caused or worsened by their service in Her Majesty’s Armed Forces and have been caused before 6 April 2005.

For any illness or injury caused by service on or after 6 April 2005, you can claim the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS).

There are two types of War Pension Scheme benefits. In fact, your level of disablement will dictate which type you receive:

  • A gratuity: a one-time lump sum payment for disablement less than 20%;
  • A pension: an ongoing weekly or monthly payment for disablement more than 20%.

What benefits can carers get?

What benefits can carers get?

There are a number of benefits that carers can get. A carer is a person, child or adult, that looks after someone with an illness, frailty, disability, mental health problem or addiction.

The person that the carer is taking care of could not do without their supervision and help. A carer is unpaid but might be eligible for benefits such as:

  • Carer’s Allowance;
  • Carer’s Credit (more info below);
  • Carers’ employment rights;
  • Tax credits;
  • Young Carer Grant;
  • Various others.

What is Carer’s Allowance?

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit for those caring for an individual. More specifically, they must be caring for someone for 35 hours weekly or less. Then, they may be eligible for £67.60 weekly. However, the person wishing to claim the benefit must also get a qualifying benefit.

If you are eligible for Carer’s Allowance, you will also be able to receive National Insurance credit.

You can choose how your Carer’s Allowance is paid. In fact, you may want to be paid every 4 weeks. However, you may also choose to be paid every week. Furthermore, you will receive the money straight into your account.

If you care for more than one person, you may be able to earn more than £67.60 weekly. However, if two carers are taking care of one person, then only one person may receive Carer’s Allowance. 

Carer’s Allowance Supplement is a benefit you may get if you already receive Carer’s Allowance. In fact, you would then be able to receive two lump sums of £245.70 a year. Indeed, when you receive the sums depends on the dates on which you receive Carer’s Allowance.

You need to apply to Carer’s Allowance, but you do not need to apply to Carer’s Allowance Supplement. In fact, this is because if you are eligible for the supplement payments, you should automatically receive payments. However, this is unless you live abroad. Then, you will need to apply by post

What is Carers Credit?

Carer’s Credit is a National Insurance credit for people having cared for someone for at least 20 hours weekly. It enables carers to bridge gaps in their National Insurance record, which is the basis for someone’s State Pension.

Your eligibility for Carer’s Credit will not be affected by your income, savings or investments. To get Carer’s Credit, all of the following must apply, you are:

  • Aged 16 or over;
  • Under State Pension age;
  • Looking after one or more people for at least 20 hours weekly.

What benefits can young carers get?

If you are a young carer, you could get young carer support. More specifically, you could get benefits or help from the people around you. For example, you may still go to school. However, your caring responsibilities could impact your timeliness at school, or your ability to do homework.

Additionally, you could get a Young Carer Grant. In fact this is a health benefit which pays young carers. More specifically, it is £326.65 yearly. Furthermore, to receive this benefit, the carer must be between 16 and 18 years old. Lastly, they need to receive at least one qualifying benefit.

If you are having trouble at school, you could let your teacher know. In fact, if you give them context for your situation, they may be able to help. If you do so, they might be more lenient with you, like if you are late, or need more time for assignments.

How do I become a childminder?

If all of the following apply to your situation, you may need to apply to be a childminder if you are:

  • Looking after children younger than 8 years old;
  • In charge of them for over 2 hours a day;
  • Taking care of them in your own house;
  • Receiving payments for looking after them (including payment in kind).
To do so, you may need to register with either Ofstedor a childminder agency. To learn how to do this, visit the article linked above. On top of this, being a childminder may make you entitled to getting certain benefits.

Can I get help with healthcare when travelling abroad?

You may get help with healthcare when travelling abroad. Then, you can apply for the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). Indeed, this card allows you to receive healthcare outside the United Kingdom for a reduced price, or none at all.

There is also another scheme you could apply for. Indeed, you could also get the UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Both of these cards offer very similar advantages. In most situations, their effects will be the same.

You can use these cards in a variety of places. In fact, you may use them in countries inside the European Union, as well as Switzerland, and more. However, note that most healthcare that will be covered is ‘medically necessary healthcare‘.

Furthermore, in certain countries, like Norway and Iceland, you may only use a new UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). An existing EHIC or GHIC will not work. As such, when travelling abroad, it is important to also take comprehensive travel insurance, including to cover your health costs.

The UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is usually meant for those who are not necessarily able to ask for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). Indeed, you would then be able to get coverage slightly larger than with a GHIC.

What are the NHS Free Eye Test and Optical Vouchers?

What are the NHS Free Eye Test and Optical Vouchers?

You may be eligible for a free eye test or optical vouchers to test your eyesight and receive discounts on the costs of contact lenses and glasses. In order to qualify for a free eye test, you must be one of the following:

  • Under 16 years old;
  • 16, 17 or 18 as well as in a full-time education;
  • Over 60 years old;
  • Registered as partially sighted or blind;
  • Diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma;
  • 40 years or older, and your father, mother, siblings or child was diagnosed with glaucoma;
  • Are a prisoner on leave from prison;
  • Qualify for an NHS complex lens voucher (ask your optician).

To qualify for an optical voucher, you must be one of the following:

  • Under 16 years old;
  • 16, 17 or 18 as well as in a full-time education;
  • Are a prisoner on leave from prison;
  • Qualify for an NHS complex lens voucher (ask your optician).

If you do not fit one of the criteria listed here, you might still qualify. Visit the article linked above to learn more.

What is NHS Low Income Scheme?

If you currently receive low income, you might be eligible to receive help with health costs and other expenses. This is called the NHS Low Income Scheme. This includes:

  • NHS prescription charges;
  • NHS dental treatment charges;
  • Sight tests, glasses and contact lenses costs;
  • Travelling costs to receive NHS treatment;
  • NHS wigs and fabric supports.

The amount of help you are eligible for might depend on multiple factors, like your weekly income, necessary outgoings and savings. You may also receive financial help from the scheme if you have already received an eligible treatment. In this case, you may apply for a refund while you send your application.

You may also have to complete the HC1 form to get an HC2 certificate or HC3 certificate. An HC2 certificate provides full help with health costs, and HC3 provides some help.

What benefits can I get if I am pregnant or have a child?

You may be eligible for the Healthy Start scheme if you are pregnant or have a child under 4 years old. You will receive a card, which you can use to buy healthy foods and milk. Furthermore, you can pick up supplements for you and your baby for free, like:

  • Healthy Start Vitamins, to help during pregnancy and breastfeeding;
  • Vitamin drops, for babies and young children from birth up until 4 years old.
If you live in Scotland, Healthy Start is unavailable to you. However, you may claim Best Start Foods instead. It is another health benefit, and the previous version of the benefit was Healthy Start vouchers. However, the voucher method ends in early 2022.

What is Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods?

Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods are Scottish benefits that you may receive from being pregnant or looking after a child. Both these benefits are intended to help someone with the costs that both these conditions may impose.

Best Start Grant consists of 3 one-time payments. They are Pregnancy and Baby Payment, Early Learning Payment and School Age Payment.

Best Start Foods is slightly different. It consists of a prepaid card that can be used to buy healthy foods like milk or fruit in shops or online. How much you receive may depend on how far along you are in your pregnancy, or how old your child is.

What is Sure Start Maternity Grant?

Sure Start Maternity Grant is a tax-free health benefit that awards a one-time payment of £500. This is to help new mothers with the costs of having a child. If you live in Scotland, you are not eligible for this benefit, but may instead receive a Pregnancy and Baby Payment. 

You are likely to qualify for Sure Start Maternity Grant if the following apply:

  • You are expecting your first child, or you are expecting multiple births (like twins) but already have children under 16 years old;
  • Either you or your partner already receives certain qualifying benefits.
Note that you will likely not be eligible if you already have children under 16 years old and are not expecting multiple births (like twins, triplets…), but there are exceptions. You can also claim the Sure Start Maternity Grant for a family member who lives with you and is having their first child.

Robin is a writer for Your Benefits, writing about aids that people may be entitled to. He is currently working on his Master in journalism at the Institut Supérieur de Formation au Journalisme in Lille.

Our algorithm calculates which grants you are eligible to apply for.

Simulate your benefits