PIP Daily Living component: rates and points in 2022

8 December 2022 by Robin - 6 minutes of reading time

pip daily living component

What is the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component? If you need help with activities related to daily living, you may qualify. You may then earn one of two rates. Indeed, you could be eligible for this benefit and not know it. This Your Benefits article will tell you everything that you need to know about the PIP daily living component.

What is the daily living component of PIP?

The Personal Independence Payment (PIP) has two components: mobility and PIP daily living component. The daily living component is meant for those who need help with day to day activities. In fact, these can include the following:

  • Reading or communicating with others;
  • Making decisions about or using money;
  • Putting on and taking off clothes;
  • Cooking, drinking or eating;
  • Bathing, using the toilet or washing themselves;
  • Socializing or being around other people;
  • Managing treatments or taking a medicine.
If you qualify for this benefit, you may also qualify for a Disabled Persons Railcard. Additionally, you may receive the Constant Attendance Allowance. If this is the case, you will be entitled to less of the PIP daily living component.

You may be unsure if you qualify for this benefit or more. If so, Your Benefits can help. Indeed, we offer a free simulator that can show you exactly how much aid you can earn. Additionally, our experts are available to help you save on all of your bills. This includes your water, electricity, phone bill… Simply ask to be called back to start saving money!

Am I eligible for the daily living component?

What is the daily living component of PIP?

You may be eligible for the PIP daily living component. However, first, you must be eligible for Personal Independence Payment (PIP). For this to be the case, you must have all of the following:

  • A long-term physical or mental disability;
  • Difficulty to achieve daily tasks, or have mobility issues that prevent you from moving around freely.
The part that concerns the difficulty to achieve daily task is the one that concerns the daily living component of the PIP. Indeed, mobility issues are approached by the mobility component.

How much is the PIP daily living component?

There are two components of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP), as said before. For each of these two components, there are two different rates. Indeed, there is the PIP daily living component lower and higher rate. The higher rate is also known as the enhanced rate.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) amounts per component and rate in 2022
  Lower weekly rate (minimum payment) Higher weekly rate (maximum payment)
Daily living part £60.00 £89.60
Mobility part £23.70 £62.55
Note that the PIP daily living part is mainly more than the mobility part. In other words, if you qualify for the daily living part, you may receive more in payments. However, note that you may receive payments for both components. Furthermore, you may only receive payments for one rate.

Your eligibility is not impacted by your employment status. Additionally, you might receive payments from other benefits or have savings. However, this will not impact your eligibility. Furthermore, you may receive Personal Independence Payments on top of other benefits.

How is my eligibility for the PIP daily living component determined?

Your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component claim is assessed on a point system. Indeed, it will be looked at by a healthcare professional. They will assess your ability to carry out both PIP daily living and mobility activities. Then, they will look at if you require help to achieve them.

Afterwards, they will make a report for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). In fact, a person at the DWP will then determine at what rate you are able to earn the component, and for what period of time.

What is the daily living component scoring system?

How much is the PIP daily living component?

When your eligibility for the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component is calculated on a 12 point system. You will get the PIP daily living component if you score between 8 and 11 points. However, if you get 12 points or more, you will qualify for the higher rate.

There are 10 categories for the PIP daily living component. Each one of them can get you points. In fact, you do not need to earn at least 8 points in one category. Instead, points are accumulated across categories.

The 10 categories are as follows:

  1. Preparing food;
  2. Taking nutrition;
  3. Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition;
  4. Washing and bathing;
  5. Managing toilet needs or incontinence;
  6. Dressing and undressing;
  7. Communicating verbally;
  8. Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words;
  9. Engaging with other people face to face;
  10. Making budgeting decisions.

You may earn a maximum of 12 points in some categories, but not all. Indeed, some only have a maximum of 8 points. As such, not all categories entitle you to earn the enhanced rate. Then, you may see how the fact that points add up across categories comes in handy.

How many points will my circumstances earn me?

Since there are so many categories, there are a lot of ways to earn points. Furthermore, remember that points add up across categories. Indeed, if you earn only 1 point in all categories, then you qualify for the lower rate.

Let’s start with the first category: preparing food. You need the help of an aid or appliance to cook in order to earn 2 points. If you cannot cook or prepare food at all, you may earn 8.

What other categories are there?

Then is “taking nutrition“. To qualify for this category, you need to at least need supervision or help to take nutrition, or need help cutting food. Furthermore, to qualify for 10 points, you need someone to put drinks and food into your mouth.

Thirdly is managing therapy or monitoring a health condition. In order to qualify for one point, something must apply. More specifically, you must either:

  • Need to use an aid or appliance in order to manage medication;
  • Need help from someone to manage medication, or to monitor a health condition.

Indeed, you would then be eligible for the minimum number of points for this category. Furthermore, to qualify for 8 points, you must require help in order to manage therapy. Additionally, the therapy must be over 14 hours weekly.

There are requirements for points for all 10 categories. However, this article will not go over all of them. Indeed, if you want a full list of the point requirements, you may find one on the Citizens Advice website.Then, you will be able to estimate what components and rates you could be eligible for.
Autres questions fréquentes

Robin is a writer for Your Benefits, writing about aids that people may be entitled to. He is currently working on his Master in journalism at the Institut Supérieur de Formation au Journalisme in Lille.

Ask our experts a question

Your questions
  • Kim Winfield

    Hi, can a working age adult who lives in residential care still claim what used to be called Boarder Payments for time spent away from home please? This element seems to have disappeared since the introduction of PIP.

    Many thanks.

    • Robin


      Indeed, it seems that this benefit is no longer available. You can instead claim pip.

      Hope this helps,

  • Karina Jones

    Hi I’ve been awarded enhanced daily living component as scored 12 points but I still have no idea what I will receive?

    • Robin


      You will get the higher rate, which is indicated in the article. It amounts to £89.60 weekly.

      Hope this helps,

  • graliontorile

    Very interesting points you have noted, thankyou for posting.

    • Robin


      No problem! I am really glad that you found this helpful.

      Have a good day,

  • donate for ukraine

    Very descriptive blog, I liked that a lot.

    • Robin


      Thank you! I am glad that you liked it.

      Have a good day,

  • Sue Roddie

    In receipt of PIP enhanced mobility rate & daily living component standard rate. Do I qualify for assistance with household duties ? If so. what course of action do I take ?

    Many thanks


    • Robin

      I assume that you are talking about getting a carer, or simply a person to help you with day to day tasks. In order to get this help, you can contact your local council. They should be able to either figure out a solution, or point you into the right direction.

      Hope this helps,

  • Hollins Philip

    I am thinking about living in the Philippines, I am aware that the Uk has a benefits agreement their.
    Will I be able to claim my PIP their?

    Philip Hollins

    • Robin

      Hello Philip,
      It is true that the UK has a Social Security Agreement with the Philippines. Indeed, you can claim Personal Independence Payment for up to 13 weeks when going abroad. You will receive it for 26 weeks if you are going abroad to receive a medical treatment. However, beyond that, you will not be able to claim the benefit.

      Hope this helps,

Our algorithm calculates which grants you are eligible to apply for.

Simulate your benefits