Adult Disability Payment: how much it is and how to get it in 2022

8 December 2022 by Robin - 9 minutes of reading time

adult disability payment 2022

What is Adult Disability Payment? How much is it? What are the rates? If you have a disability or long-term health condition, you may qualify for this benefit, and are eligible to increase how much you receive in financial aid. Then, you will receive weekly payments. Your Benefits will tell you everything you need to know about Adult Disability Payment.

What is Adult Disability Payment?

Adult Disability Payment for those living in Scotland. Indeed, it is meant for those who have a disability or long-term health condition that impacts their day to day life. Furthermore, it is composed of 2 different parts (like the DLA, PIP and AA): the daily living part and the mobility part.

You could qualify for only one component. However, you may also be eligible for both. How much you may receive for either component depends on your condition. More specifically, the extent to which your condition affects your ability in your daily life

You may be working, or even have savings or an income. This will not impact your claim, as these things will not be considered when looking at your application.

How much is Adult Disability Payment?

There are 4 different amounts of money you can receive with Adult Disability Payment. In fact, there are two components of the benefit, the mobility components and the daily living components. For each component, there is the standard and enhanced award. Each award is a different weekly amount.

You may get either £61.85 weekly or £92.40 weekly for the daily living component. Furthermore, you may get £24.45 weekly or £64.50 weekly for the mobility component. You can qualify for one or both components, but you may only qualify for one rate per component.

Adult Disability Payment components and rates in 2022
Adult Disability Payment part Adult Disability Payment rate Weekly amount
Daily Living Standard award £61.85
Enhanced award £92.40
Mobility Standard Award £24.45
Enhanced award £64.50

You will receive payments every 4 weeks. However, you may be terminally ill. If you are, then you will receive payments in advance weekly.

For one reason or another, you may want to stop receiving Adult Disability Payment. If this is the case, you need to contact Social Security Scotland. Then, they will indicate what form you need to complete to cease your payments.

Adult Disability Payment daily living rates

What is Adult Disability Payment?

The daily living part of Adult Disability Payment consists of daily commonplace activities which may be impacted by your condition. Indeed, your condition may hinder your ability to do one of the following:

  • Making your own decisions about budgeting;
  • Engaging face to face with other people in social interactions;
  • Being able to understand and interpret words, symbols and signs;
  • Being able to communicate verbally with others;
  • Undressing and dressing, whether by yourself or aided;
  • Bathing and washing yourself, whether aided or not;
  • Monitoring your health condition, or being able to manage your therapy;
  • Drinking and eating;
  • Being able to prepare your own meals and food.

Your ability to do one of the activities above might be impacted by your condition. If this is the case, you would then likely be eligible for the daily living component. Then, you could qualify for one of the following:

  • The standard award, £61.85 weekly;
  • The enhanced award, £92.40 weekly.
You may be terminally ill. If this is the case, you will automatically be eligible for the enhanced award.

Adult Disability Payment mobility rates

Your condition may impact your ability to plan and follow journeys, from a point A to a point B. Additionally, you may have trouble moving around. Then, if you need help for both of these things, you may be eligible for the mobility component of Adult Disability Payment.  Like the daily living component, it consists of two different rates:

  • The standard award, £24.45 weekly;
  • The enhanced award, £64.50 weekly.
You may be able to receive the enhanced award for this part of Adult Disability Payment. If this is the case, you can also make an application to lease an accessible vehicle.

Am I eligible for Adult Disability Payment?

How much is Adult Disability Payment?

You can apply for Adult Disability Payment if a couple of things are true for you. More specifically, you must have either a terminal illness, or a long term mental or physical health condition or disability. Then, you must be older than 16 years old and younger than State Pension age

You may be waiting to receive your diagnosis. In this case, you can still apply for this benefit. Then, you can do so online on your mygov.scot account.

Furthermore, you cannot receive Adult Disability Payment if you already receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). More specifically, this is because you will automatically get this benefit if you receive PIP.

If you already receive PIP, no need to apply. Social Security Scotland will move you over to Adult Disability Payment without your input. 

Apply for Adult Disability Payment

You will be able to apply for Adult Disability Payment soon in 2022. At first, the number of applicants had a limit. This is because this benefit is relatively new. As such, Social Security Scotland wants to make sure that the process works. Now, you should be able to apply on your mygov.scot account online.

Applications may not be available where you live. If this is the case, you may apply for a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or the Attendance Allowance instead. Indeed, remember that if you claim that benefit, you will be able to receive Adult Disability Payment automatically, without having to apply.

The Adult Disability Payment application consists of 2 components. First, the application will ask about your details about you. Then, the application will inquire about details about your conditions, as well as how your life is impacted by it. 

You will only need to give details for information important for your situation. Furthermore, you may worry about adding details multiple times, or in the wrong place in the application. Social Security Scotland will look at your application in its totality to determine your eligibility.

What will I need to complete part 1?

In order to complete part 1, you will need some information ready. Indeed, this includes the following:

  • Your credit union, building society or bank account information;
  • Your own National Insurance number. You may find this information on your P45 or P60, payslip, social security letter or National Insurance card;
  • Personal information like your address and date of birth.
You may not have a credit union, building society or bank account. Then, you may still apply for this benefit. If you qualify, you will need to contact Social Security Scotland. Then, you will need to agree on a method for you to receive payments.

It’s possible that you reside in Gibraltar, Switzerland or a European Economic Area (EEA) country. Then, Social Security Scotland will inquire about residency details. Indeed, this is so they are able to more accurately assess your application. 

You may have been outside of the Common Travel Area anytime in the past year. If this is the year, you will have to notify Social Security England. More specifically, you will have to tell them how long you were there for, and the reason for it. This is for them to be able to correctly assess your Adult Disability Payment eligibility.

Once you finished part 1 of the applications, you have a limited amount of time to complete part 2. More specifically, you have 56 days, or 8 weeks. If you want more time, notify Social Security Scotland. You are not required to explain why you want more time.

What will I need to complete part 2?

The part 2 of the application will inquire about your condition. As such, it will ask questions about the following:

  • Equipment, treatment or medications you may require;
  • Your ability to move when going outside;
  • Assistance that you require, and why you require it;
  • Basic information about your condition, as well as how it affects you being able to care for yourself, understand the world around you, as well as socialize and communicate with others;

Furthermore, having certain information or documents handy may aid your application for this benefit. If you have the following, you may be able to more easily complete part 2 of your application:

  • Information to contact someone who can talk about your condition. This may be a person who cares for you, a family member, or more;
  • Your General Practitioner’s (GP) contact information;
  • Information about medical tests and results that you had;
  • Details about your condition. If you are still waiting for your diagnosis, this can be details about your symptoms.

You may choose to wait in order to send supporting information for your application. However, this is not recommended. Instead, complete part 2 when you can. Any supporting information you want to include can be submitted afterwards.

How can I submit my Adult Disability Payment application?

You can apply for Adult Disability Payment online or by post. If you apply online, you will do so on the mygov.scot website. Indeed, you will first need to input your postcode. This is to make sure that applications are open and available in your area. If this is the case, you will be able to apply with myaccount.

Applying online is the easiest method. Indeed, you are able to save your progress and come back whenever you wish. Furthermore, if you do not have a myaccount account, you will need to create one. Lastly, you can only have one application active at any given time.

You also do not have an infinite amount of time to complete your applications online. Indeed, once you begin the application process, you have a limited amount of time to complete it. More specifically, the following:

  • 14 days, or two weeks, to complete part 1;
  • 56 days, or 8 weeks, to complete part 2 (once you finish part 1).
You can apply by post or phone. To do this, contact Social Security Scotland. You can call them on 0800 182 2222.
Autres questions fréquentes

Robin is a writer for Your Benefits, writing about aids that people may be entitled to. He is currently working on his Master in journalism at the Institut Supérieur de Formation au Journalisme in Lille.

Ask our experts a question

Your questions
  • Ian Whitton

    I am waiting for 2 new knees (at least 2 years waiting time) and have prostate cancer; I have applied for a blue badge for a new car I have just leased. It was suggested to me that I may be able to apply for a mobility grant to help with travel costs. I am 71 years of age and live in Scotland.

    Ian Whitton.

    • Robin


      You can in fact apply for this benefit.

      Hope this helps,

  • Steel, Elizabeth

    Hello, I am looking for some information. I have just left my employment after 18 years as I am diabetic and struggling to get this under control so it was starting to affect my working ability due to health issues I have been having. Would I be eligable to apply for PIP. A family member has to accompany me to appointments and shopping as I get anxiety & panic attacks due to issues I have. Many thanks

    • Robin


      You do indeed sound like you would be eligible for PIP.

      Hope this helps,


    I am 80 years old and have been receiving first level disability allowance for about 3/4 years as l suffer from psoriatic arthritis and receive biological injections every month. l have been an outpatient at a rheumatology hospital for about 15 years.
    My condition is worsening and mobility getting worse.
    Can you tell me if l would be entitled to the higher rate?
    Thank you.
    Pat Tomenson

    • Robin

      Hello Mrs. Tomenson,

      Yes. If your health is getting worse, you should be able to apply for the higher rate. To do this, ask to have another assessment done, by reporting a change in your circumstances.

      Hope this helps,

  • McDonald Margaret

    I have received a letter advising my DLA would stop and advising me to apply for PIP. As Scotland is taking over these payments would I be wiser to wait till DLA ends then apply for ADA. I am not sure which would be the best option.
    I am a pensioner on full state pension
    Thank you

    • Robin

      Hello Mrs. McDonald,

      Unfortunately, I am not sure. I would however still advise to apply for PIP, to not miss out on payments.

      Hope this helps,

  • Angela Marshall

    I am on PIP without the mobility part. I have recently been diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in both hope and arthritis in my left foot.I cannot drive because of the pain and I’m thinking I need a mobility scooter. Would I be able to get the mobility part of my PIP enhanced?

    Kind regards

    • Robin

      Hello Mrs. Marshall,

      Yes, from your situation, it seems like you would be eligible for the enhanced rate of the mobility component.

      Hope this helps,

  • Robin Brunskill

    I have had an under active thyroid condition since 1999.
    I used to work as a teacher, but I find that I get really exhausted, so I have been doing Supply teaching a few days a month and living on Universal Credit.
    Recently my doctor told me that I have been on the wrong dose of Levothyroxine and that my system was flooded with cortisol and prolactin. This has affected my brain. I do feel very disorientated and have tried to work only as a teaching assistant.
    Am I eligable for any sort of benefit. I can get proof that this did take place.

Our algorithm calculates which grants you are eligible to apply for.

Simulate your benefits